Everyone who knows me knows that I am obsessed with seafood. I define many of life's milestones by the type of seafood I was in love with at the time. I first learned that my parents were staying together on the fishing trip and subsequent fish fry one summer. In law school, my hungover classmates appeared puzzled, and a little green, at the sight of me eating a fish filet sandwich at 9 am. Big D stared at me with wide eyes and slight disgust as I took DOWN a lobster pot with seven types of fish and shellfish. Did I mention that this dish was meant to be shared by a couple? Big D has since come to love the various fruits of the sea. We even announced the pregnancy with the help of our friends from the deep.
Ok, you don't have to be as crazy as I am when it comes to seafood, but if you are soon-to-be pregnant, pregnant or nursing, you should try to fit 12 ounces of fish in your diet each week. I'm sure you've heard of Omega 3s (aka DHA...you've seen it all over prenatal vitamins)- fish naturally contains it. My renowned, high risk OB (I totally wasn't high risk but intensely cautious READ: anxious first-timer) preached the benefits over and over again.
Here are the deets on Omega-3s:
- Optimize brain and eye development
- May reduce pre-term birth
- May help and manage post-partum depression
- Helps manage optimal weight gain
- Protects heart health
To encourage y'all to eat more fish, I am giving one of my readers a Seafood Lover's Basket (worth $60):
- A variety of fish and seafood samples (I've tried these...they are REALLY good. Like eat out of the pouch with a fork good)
- Recipe cards for fish and seafood meals
- A durable melamine mixing bowl to use while cooking/mixing
- One stainless steel fish turner from Bed, Bath and Beyond
- Delicious fish seasoning from Penzey’s Spices
- A bento lunch box container for on-the-go fish favorites
- Seafood Lover’s Guide to Eating During Pregnancy
- One copy of “My Two-Year-Old Eats Octopus: Raising Children Who Love to Eat Everything”
To enter, visit the Seafood Lover's Guide and tell me how you manage to fit twelve ounces of fish into your diet every week or give me your favorite fish recipe. This is required and must be done before the extra entries count!
You can do any of these things for an extra entry. Make sure to leave a separate comment for EACH thing you do.
1. For TWO extra entries, subscribe to my blog via e-mail (over there in the upper right hand corner).
2. For TWO extra entries, follow my blog via Google Friend.
3. For ONE extra entry: follow @HitSendLetGo AND @SeafoodLovers on Twitter and tweet about this giveaway. You can tweet once a day for an extra entry every day! You can copy and paste: "WIN a @SeafoodLovers gift basket @HitSendLetGo http://www.HitSendLetGo.com"
4. For ONE extra entry: Become a fan of HitSendLetGo on Facebook
Contest ends at 11:59pm EST on September 27th when I will draw a winner at random. Please leave your email address if it is not visible on your profile. I will notify the winner as soon as the contest ends. The winner will be given 48 hours to respond.
The package can only be shipped within the U.S.
Disclosure: This was not a paid post and honest opinions were used. The opinions are solely my own. Thank you to Seafood Lover's Guide who supplied the products for the review and giveaway.