Today, people from all over the world are celebrating International World Water Day, an observance begun by the United Nations in 1993 to advocate for the sustainable management of our most precious natural resource – fresh water sources.
In the spirit of water awareness, here are some interesting facts to share with your family:
· Less than 1% of the earth's water is suitable for drinking
· More than a billion people around the globe survive on just over 1 gallon of water per day
· Potentially more than 3 billion people may suffer from water shortages by the year 2025
· 66% of the human body is water
· A person can only live without water for approximately one week
Another great way to educate your children on this very important topic is to get them directly involved. As part of Siemens commitment to helping communities make big changes in how they consume, manage and recycle fresh water, the company has developed these fun and interactive family-friendly tools to help educate your children on water usage and make a household commitment to conserving water:
1. Personal Water Footprint Calculator: A family-friendly tool for parents to educate their children on water usage and make a household commitment to conserving. After completing a simple quiz, your family can commit to making small changes in your daily lives that make a big difference. Then, you can share this commitment with your family and friends via Facebook to help spread the word!
2. Change Begins with a Drop: Get creative and work with your children to create a 10 second video of a drop of any form, shape or material passing along the screen as they dance, smile, walk, swim and submit it to the "Change Begins with a Drop" YouTube chain for the world to see! (For every video uploaded, Siemens will donate $1 to the SkyJuice Foundation)